Matthew J. Luken
Adjunct Faculty, The Art Institutes International Minnesota,
Minneapolis, Minnesota (4/08–present).
Adjunct Faculty in Web Design Interactive Media (WDIM) and Graphic Design Departments. My students report making substantial progress on their essential learning objectives for my classes (4.4/5), my teaching methods are nearly always effective (4.3/5), and generally report my teaching methods to be stimulating and relevant (4.2/5) based on 2014 and 2015 reporting periods combined.
Writing for Interactive Media Design (IMD)
User Centered Interface Design (UCID)
Portfolio Prep & Portfolio
Project Management (PM)
User Experience Consultant, ONE20
Chanhassen, Minnesota (12/15–5/16)
Consultant contract position leading User Experience for ONE20 mobile application. Coordinating directly with Product Owner to translate requirements into actionable tasks in agile environment using a third party build vendor. Responsible for leading the vendor UX, design and content teams from the parent company’s side of the business. Oversee requirements with business analysts and ensure that teams are briefed on how the product should be built. Responsible for final approval of wireframes, designs, JIRA stories and content documentation.
Senior User Experience Strategy & Team Leader, Capella University,
Minneapolis, Minnesota (10/14–11/15).
Senior contract position leading the User Experience practice and team for Capella University’s Visitor Center and related digital properties including Information Security Blog, Paid Media Landing Pages and Partner Pages. Also led the Experience Strategy for these properties.
• Designed the Area of Study Enhancement Project which introduced circular navigation to key content pages, improved the prospects journey, increased Google relevancy on new keyword searches, improved conversion by removing pain points, changed the paradigm of the website from linear to both a linear & non-linear structure, future-proofed the website‘s Information Architecture (IA) and Site Plans, and targeted 600,000 additional key word searches per year.
• Increased FlexPath (CU’s market leading product) visits 9% YoY with minor tweaks to IA and re-design of the assessment tool strategy which led to a 45% increase in assessments taken, increased the average weekly content visits 34% over the previous weekly average, provided visibility into funnel traction, and resulted in a 31% participation rate – a 91% improvement.
• Increased Paid Media Landing Page CVR +1.8% with minor changes to image context and eye acuity, while in another redesign effort we saw a 40% gain in media efficiency and CVR doubled that of the old design / layout.
• With the implementation design strategy created for the Information Security Blog, created an 80% savings on future showcase websites through re-usable frameworks and integrated component methodologies.
• Through an interdisciplinary approach, reduced project estimation and sprint planning effort from days to 20 minutes; producing all necessary epic outlines, base story cards, assignments and estimates for design, UX and copy teams.
Actively supported prototyping, various methodologies of user testing, wire framing, process mapping, user journeys, user testing, digital traffic planning and reporting in both agile and waterfall development life cycles.
Director User Experience, Aimia, Incorporated,
Minneapolis, Minnesota (3/12–10/14).
Led the User Experience practice for Aimia in the US Region, chaired the Aimia Global UX Sub-HUB, provided UX leadership to our global offices, and as part of the Global Product team, designed the Marketer’s Loyalty Toolkit and Call Center applications, as well as the member’s mobile and traditional website experiences for Aimia’s newest global loyalty product – The Aimia Loyalty Platform – valued at over $165 million.
Within the US Region lead a team of three designers responsible for ensuring client’s loyalty products, printed pieces and websites were designed to build meaningful relationships through each stage of the customer life cycle; ensuring maximum user interaction, while enabling the development teams to build global products that are engaging, relevant and rewarding through intuitive design, aesthetic appeal and high usability. Actively supported sales concepts, clickable and paper prototypes, wire framing, process mapping, user journeys, user testing and reporting, as well as in-house product development, enhancement, and process improvement in both agile and waterfall development life cycles. Responsible for strategic planning with clients to ensure their digital assets and experiences – mobile, application UI, traditional websites, etc. – were congruent, including moving their assets from stand alone efforts towards common coding and responsively designed products. Also responsible for program implementations onto the regional and global products and their success measurement. Led the efforts to concept, design and implement program enhancements both within the product constraints and via outside frameworks. US Region PASSION Award winner 2012 and 2013 nominee.
Some of my external client efforts: General Motors, Kellogg’s, Verizon, CDW, Delta Air Lines, ANZ Wealth, MYER one, The Hartford, Ameriprise Financial, Audi USA, Ford, Chrysler, Coke UK, Constellation Energy, Allsteel, Coca-Cola, Hallmark, Fidelity Investments, BreedSmart, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Chase, Oracle, Toyota, BJ’s Wholesale Club, BP, Visa, Avis EMEA, Shell, FedEx, Verizon, Michelin, Volkswagen, Walgreens, HSBC Holdings, Kirkland’s Home, Land O’Lakes, General Electric, GraceKennedy, Procter & Gamble, Merz Pharma, Avis Budget Unlimited, MGM Resorts, Nature’s Bounty, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Avis NA, BassPro, Schiff Move Free, True Value, Unica, U.S. Cellular, Love’s, Nissan, China Southern Airlines, Sprint, Standard Charter Bank, Whirlpool, Pulte Homes, Sam’s Club, Signature Flight Support, Aeromexico, Merial, and Subaru.
Some of my internal client efforts: Smart Button, A2K, Fusion, The Mix, Element / Aimia Engagement Platform, Endeavor / Aimia Loyalty Platform, Real Rewards, P11, Self Serve, Micro- & Macro- Space Planner, Nectar UK, Micros POS, Cardlytics, and Cvent.
Partner & Director of Productivity, Grandpa-George Design & Interactive. G-G Amalgamated, LLP,
Minneapolis, Minnesota (5/07–12/12).
A design firm in Minneapolis, Grandpa-George specializes in interactive and print design, User Centered Interface Design (UCID), self-promotion, social media, search optimization, identity, print, graphic design and usability. Mentor of 65+ apprentices in User Experience, Web Development and small business development. Project Manager responsible for project tracking, customer management, reporting, communication and quality assurances. Mega Office Manager (MOM) in charge of running the daily and strategic operations, as well as contracts, records and intern / apprenticeship programs. Grandpa-George was selected for the How Designer Spotlight Feb. 2011.
Senior Business Analyst, Delta Air Lines, Incorporated,
Minneapolis, Minnesota (7/07–3/12).
Spearheaded project integrating Delta Air Lines’ and Northwest Airlines’ Request products – IShop and ServiceNet (TSR) with HP Service Manager Request for fulfillment. Directly responsible for taking IShop from a 30,000 user-based product for three companies using 86 forms plus 5,000 products to a 196,000+ potential user-based request tool for ten companies using 287 forms plus nearly 12,000 products. Cataloged existing processes for both companies across 26 disciplines within the IT Department; authored majority of end-state processes from request to fulfillment. Led 10-person team to deliver an integrated request product that interfaced to HP’s Service Manager Authored and executed project plan for 57 releases over a 32 consecutive-day effort to upgrade the tool’s core systems, overhauled forms for new processes, introduction of new forms and processes, as well as wrote the form output to the Service Manager request module.
Led exploratory effort to determine end-state request solution for the new airline; met with industry leading providers and vendors on all available solution paths. Authored recommendation to maintain IShop as the request tool for the new airline, including high-level 2010-2011 implementation plan. Responsible for maintaining IShop code and processes through 2009, while providing incremental growth with one contract coding staff; managed day-to-day operations and tool release management.
Increased IShop usage 11% for 2008, processed 76% more product related emails than in 2007, and decreased user reported problems by 67% with reduction of 14 full-time workers. Exceeded IShop output goals by 20% for 2007; increased IShop usage 71% over 2006’s numbers. Conducted usability study and implemented site redesign to increase customer usage and reduce repeat customer contact for problem resolution and procedural help. As of late November 2007 responsible for IShop 100%.
Responsible for coordination through entire lifecycle: initiation of concept, requirements gathering, usability, integration and continuity design, usability and compliance testing, post-production testing and process documentation. Evaluated and recommended enhancement and fix prioritization. Translated customer needs into true business requirements that would deliver output that meets all needs of all affected work groups, while reducing costs for the airline through automation and streamlining of services and work flow.
Senior Analyst, Technology Products and Services, Northwest Airlines, Incorporated,
Minneapolis, Minnesota. (1/01–7/07).
Provided Implementation Services’ 24 person team go-to services for all 5 disciplines, in all aspects of internal processes and Information Services’ interconnected processes. Responsible for all functions contributing to the success of this team.
• Studied and provided processes for new organizational initiatives within the department; project implementation process, project coordination and project management processes, escalation processes and START program. Diagnosed process problems and immediately implemented solutions for team on cabling process, used PC acquisition and imaging process with tracking, PE kits, etc.
• Conceived, designed, created and implemented processes for the start up of this new team using vendor resources augmenting NWA resources on implementations of over 5 devices within the worldwide operation: Equipment Disposal process, New Station Escalation plan, Project Engineer guide for using local resources, PE Kit processes, Estimating Tool processes, Manager Verification process, Vendor Project Ramp-up services, Vendor Termination / Vendor Conversion-mid-project processes, IS Project Communication plans, Project Visibility standards including Information Wall, Project Websites and Project Communication / Escalation standards, International Hardware Purchasing, etc.
• Created and documented 4.7 gigs (over 7,100 links) of department procedures and processes, incorporating them into a comprehensive, user-friendly and searchable, secure Intranet website.
• Created an automated Estimating Tool for use in creating estimates for corporate-level funding; provided a consistent end product and allowed for compliance with all required sub-components of equipment. Tool allowed for new employees to be trained in minimal time and a single correction point to ensure accuracy.
• Proposed a cost savings initiative involving shipping of computer components that would save nearly $80,000 in cost, while increasing revenue for Northwest Airlines by over $120,000.
• Implemented a cost savings project involving the decommissioning of unused data circuits. Approximate annual savings attributed were over $513,000. Additionally, worked with all affected internal organizations to implement long ranges plans for additional savings, created new comprehensive processes and procedures to support this effort and worked with corporate sponsors to recognize all team efforts.
For a more extensive work, speaking engagement and teaching history, download my Curriculum Vitae.
Master of Aeronautical Science, Aviation/Aerospace Technical Management, summa cum laude, December, 2001.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Center for Continuing Education, Eagan, Minnesota.
Master of Aeronautical Science, Aviation/Aerospace Operations, summa cum laude, December, 2001.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Center for Continuing Education, Eagan, Minnesota.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with Aviation Applications, December 1991.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Arizona.
User Experience, Service Design, Customer Experience, Agile and Waterfall Development, Web Project Management, Process Development, Process Optimization, Project Delivery, Process Mapping, ITIL Certified.
Balsamiq, OmniGraffle, Version One,Visio, POP, Marvel, Axure, iRise, Trello, Basecamp, Adobe Experience Manager, Microsoft Office, MS Project, HP Service Manager, FrontPage, EDM (Enterprise Desktop Manager by Novadigm MVS), Access, PCAnywhere, HP Service Manager, InfoMan, ChangeMan, MVS, VM, ISPF/PDF, NAS Monitor.
HTML, REXX, IBM JCL, JOVIAL, IBM 370 BAL, C, Pascal, Assembly, Basic, Fortran, Cobol, Ada, LISP, SQL.
(2013) PASSION Award Nominee, Aimia US Region
(2012) PASSION Award, Aimia US Region
(October 2011) Soar Award – Gaining Altitude Program, Delta Air Lines
(February 2011) How Designer Spotlight, Grandpa-George Design and Interactive
(2005—2011) ASSIST Go Team Response, Northwest Airlines
(2005) Certified Flight Attendant, Federal Aviation Administration
(2004) Team Excellence Award, Northwest Airlines
(1987) Silver Congressional Award, District Representative, The Honorable Edward J. Markey
(1986) Eagle Scout Award, Boy Scouts of America